There are 21 owner complaints spread out over 7 years, but the most belong to the 1995.
This generation ranks 13th in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 19 times. It's also part of 3 investigations and has 109 TSBs.
- engine timing belt went out in the 1994 Golf at 220587 miles
- transmission reverse gear damage in the 1998 Golf at 100000 miles
- transmission crap design in the 1996 Golf at 60000 miles
- accessories - exterior locks are jammed, won't open with key in the 1998 Golf at 60000 miles
- engine stalls when stopped or braking in the 1996 Golf at 75000 miles
- engine engine shuts down when its wet outside in the 1994 Golf at 126000 miles