There are 52 owner complaints spread out over 7 years, but the most belong to the 2001.
This generation ranks 24th in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 46 times. It's also part of 23 investigations and has 328 TSBs.
- transmission transmission failure in the 2002 Golf at 77591 miles
- engine engine failure in the 2003 Golf at 46603 miles
- clutch clutch slipping in the 2005 Golf at 50000 miles
- engine timing belt broke in the 2000 Golf at 98000 miles
- transmission slips, loud bang when shifting in the 2003 Golf at 5 miles
- seat belts / air bags faulty airbag in the 2005 Golf at 75661 miles