There are 10 owner complaints spread out over 7 years, but the most belong to the 2003.
This generation ranks 16th in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 10 times. It's also part of 19 investigations and has 136 TSBs.
- transmission transmission failure in the 1997 GTI at 159500 miles
- drivetrain timing chain failed in the 2003 GTI at 132000 miles
- clutch clutch failure in the 2003 GTI at 109000 miles
- electrical runs roughly in wet weather in the 1997 GTI at 35000 miles
- wheels / hubs tie rods, leaf springs failed in the 2003 GTI at 128000 miles
- engine engine running rough in the 1999 GTI at 60000 miles