There are 59 owner complaints spread out over 6 years, but the most belong to the 2012.
This generation ranks 33rd in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 8 times. It's also part of 13 investigations and has 218 TSBs.
- clutch clutch went out in the 2012 GTI at 33952 miles
- clutch clutch slipping in the 2011 GTI at 32122 miles
- engine engine failure in the 2009 GTI at 57140 miles
- engine engine blew in the 2013 GTI at 25238 miles
- engine timing chain tensioner failure in the 2009 GTI at 87576 miles
- cooling system water pump leak in the 2013 GTI at 40928 miles