There are 10 owner complaints spread out over 6 years, but the most belong to the 1990.
This generation ranks 11th in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 33 times. It's also part of 17 investigations and has 11 TSBs.
- electrical starter motor fails in the 1987 Jetta at 100000 miles
- drivetrain broken axle in the 1991 Jetta at 150000 miles
- engine won't start in the 1990 Jetta at 110000 miles
- engine engine cuts out in the 1990 Jetta at 145000 miles
- electrical engine won't start in the 1990 Jetta at 100000 miles
- fuel system inconsistent fuel delivery in the 1985 Jetta at 159000 miles