There are 79 owner complaints spread out over 8 years, but the most belong to the 1996.
This generation ranks 27th in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 37 times. It's also part of 25 investigations and has 182 TSBs.
- transmission transmission failed in the 1996 Jetta at 78086 miles
- drivetrain axel failure in the 1998 Jetta at 25000 miles
- engine burns oil in the 1999 Jetta at 86525 miles
- transmission shifts hard into first gear (automatic trans) in the 1997 Jetta at 91000 miles
- AC / heater heater core failure in the 1998 Jetta at 65000 miles
- electrical power windows go down by themselves in the 1998 Jetta at 92000 miles