There are 329 owner complaints spread out over 6 years, but the most belong to the 2000.
This generation ranks 39th in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 32 times. It's also part of 37 investigations and has 340 TSBs.
- transmission automatic transmission shifts roughly in the 2003 Jetta at 39091 miles
- engine burns oil in the 2002 Jetta at 69857 miles
- engine engine failure due to oil sludge in the 2003 Jetta at 81000 miles
- engine timing chain broke in the 2005 Jetta at 76351 miles
- engine oil sludge ruined engine in the 2001 Jetta at 82667 miles
- AC / heater A/C stopped working in the 2000 Jetta at 102400 miles