There are 11 owner complaints spread out over 8 years, but the most belong to the 1996.
This generation ranks 8th in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 11 times. It's also part of 14 investigations and has 60 TSBs.
- electrical ignition module in the 1996 Passat at 90000 miles
- engine stalls in the 1997 Passat at 96000 miles
- AC / heater a/c not working in the 1996 Passat at 99000 miles
- engine rough idle in the 1992 Passat at 100000 miles
- engine inconsistant rpm's, leaking oil, popping noise, smoking in the 1995 Passat at 165000 miles
- engine difficult to starting in the 1994 Passat at 156699 miles