There are 482 owner complaints spread out over 8 years, but the most belong to the 2003.
This generation ranks 41st in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 38 times. It's also part of 83 investigations and has 354 TSBs.
- engine oil sludge resulting in engine failure in the 2002 Passat at 92051 miles
- engine engine failure from oil sludge in the 2003 Passat at 79746 miles
- engine engine oil sludge in the 2005 Passat at 84255 miles
- engine oil pressure light came on,engine seized in the 2004 Passat at 72826 miles
- engine engine failure from low oil pressure in the 2003 Passat at 85100 miles
- engine oil sludge build up in the 2000 Passat at 116857 miles