There are 230 owner complaints spread out over 8 years, but the most belong to the 2009.
This generation ranks 37th in reliability out of 43 overall Volkswagen generations.
This generation has been recalled 20 times. It's also part of 75 investigations and has 322 TSBs.
- engine timing chain tensioner defect / engine damage in the 2011 Tiguan at 77103 miles
- engine timing chain tensioner in the 2009 Tiguan at 91393 miles
- cooling system water pump failure in the 2009 Tiguan at 76389 miles
- engine main oil seal leak in the 2010 Tiguan at 75991 miles
- engine timing chain skipped in the 2010 Tiguan at 98303 miles
- engine turbo charger failure in the 2010 Tiguan at 69596 miles